Monday, December 21, 2009

Digital Turntable, Analog Vinyl Records


During the 1980s, I have this huge collections of vinyl records, several dozens of them. The 80s is quite a radical year when the latest advancement in audio equipments sky rocketted. When CDs dominated the audio software storage in the mid 1990s, those precious vinyls have been collecting dusts in my store room.



Until one day, 19 years later, I have spotted this usb digital turntable on the internet. This turntable is quite unique for it has a USB output that you can hook up to your laptop or PC (or Mac).



It has a bundled software that allows you to convert your analog audio into the digital realm in the mp3 (oh my!) format, that is, in real time. I am not really into mp3 because it's a lossy compression system, and therefore not considered by many audiophiles as a high-end materiel. The reason why I bought this digital turntable is for me to savor that good ole analog audio sound, it's warmth and all of its hiss and rumbles as well (hahahaha). But hey, all my records are in near mint conditions, I take good care of them.





Out of the box, the unit contains the turntable itself, the bundled software/driver (green CD) and the USB cable shown on the top of the dust cover.



Further examining the unit, the electrical plug is quite of Australian standard, so I went to some local hardware stores and tried to look for an adaptor



The back of the unit contains a USB plug for connecting this unit to the PC



The complete setup is shown below, laptop is also connected to the VSX series Altec Lansing speaker systems (subwoofer under the table). Or if you want, you can just simply insert a stereo headphone on the headphone jack of the PC. I am using Audicity software for running the unit, with Audacity, you can convert to MP3 or WAV.



The Digital Turntable in action:



The verdict, if I could find a USB turntable with a magnetic cartridges, either MC (Moving Coil) or MM (Moving Magnet), I would be more than glad to try and buy it. This phonograph uses a crystal ceramic cartridge common to cheap priced turntables. It has one advantage though, it doesnt need an RIAA preamp, unlike the magnetic cartridges. Nevertheless, sound is still good. More about phonographs and cartridges here.

No comments:

Post a Comment